jueves, 2 de abril de 2009

Digging To America - Anne Tyler

I learnt about Anne Tyler after watching "The Accidental Tourist". The beginning when William Hurt reads the tips about what to carry in your suitcase engaged me. Afterwards I've read "A Patchwork Planet" (I don't remenber too much of it) and "Breathing Lessons" (Pulitzer winner). Now I've come across her last novel, this "Digging To America", and I have loved it. If they will ever make a film out of it, it will be a comedy, and a family one. As in most of her novels the scenery for this one is Baltimore, and the main characters are just ordinary people. That's one thing I like about Tyler: You don't find any murderer, spy, terrorist or police lieutenant in the plot. The story is about two little korean orphans that happen to be adopted by two american families. American or so.. because one of them is of iranian origin. The two families get close friendship and we witness the first years of the girls and the different aproachs of parents and grandparents (and relatives, family matters here). Funny and tender, nevertheless realistic, a book to recommend.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario