lunes, 21 de septiembre de 2009

The view from Castle Rock - Alice Munro

Well, yes, I've tried the original (I mean the english) version this time. Not that I understand every adjetive but I have really enjoyed this book. It's the story of the Laidlaws (the family surname of Alice) from Ettrick Valley in Scotland to Huron County in Canada. Or just some stories that tell us a lot about poor people in Europe or in America. A recommended tool for the journey: Google Earth. I've taken a look at the mentioned places to see the desolated hills in the Borders (a land that's described in some atlas of the time as having "no advantages") and the plains in Ontario. The country here (I mean there in Canada) was organized for farming in geometrical blocks, a checkerboard made of rectangles. Some hundred and fifty years after stays quite the same, and Alice Munro is right over there with her second husband, a geographer. She writes about her family and, by the way, about all of us.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario