miércoles, 18 de noviembre de 2009

Animal Crackers - Victor Heerman (1930)

I guess the name Victor Heerman doesn't give you any cue. Not to me either, but I have preferred to stick to an unwritten rule of this blog and mention the director's name. This is the second motion picture by the Marx Brothers (this is a cue, isn't it?) and, same as the first one, is just a version in celluloid of a Broadway musical they had been playing for two years previously. By then Groucho was forty years old and in a really good shape. He even sings and dances (in a funny way, of course) and gets as smart as ever. I've enjoyed in particular his first appearance with the number "Hooray For Captain Spaulding", which includes the famous "Hello, I Must Be Going". The film already contains all of the other elements that would identify a Marx Brothers' picture: Chico as an italian, Harpo chasing a blonde, both of them playing music and Barbara Dumont suffering Groucho's jokes. I think the title refers to a kind of cookies (not a trace of them in the plot...)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario